UL certifies equipment and apparel that reduce the risk of injury due to fire, falls, chemical exposure and other physical hazards. First responders and industrial workers rely on these products to guard against the hazards associated with their working environment.
For fire and emergency responders, personal protective equipment (PPE) certified by UL meets NFPA 1500: the Standard on Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program. This standard requires fire departments to provide each member with protective clothing and equipment for hazards likely to be faced in the line of duty.
The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, and state and provincial OSHA entities enforce regulations to assure safe working conditions. These organizations include requirements for PPE to be provided in certain situations to enhance worker safety, and also require the PPE to comply with specific product standards, such as ANSI/ISEA Z89.1 Standard for Industrial Head Protection. UL-certified PPE delivers employers and workers with the confidence that their products comply with nationally recognized safety and performance standards.
For PPE manufacturers, UL provides individual guidance and service to assist with product certification needs and challenges. This includes comprehensive testing, evaluation and certification for a wide range of first responder clothing and equipment, such as gloves, safety shoes, helmets, garments, protective eyewear and other products.
UL tests PPE for compliance with the current editions of applicable ANSI/NFPA, ASTM, CAN/CSA, CAN/CGSB and ANSI/ISEA standards. Third-party certification is necessary to achieve compliance with NFPA requirements. The UL Mark is widely recognized and respected as a symbol of certification to the highest standards of safety and can provide a competitive edge within the PPE market.
UL tests and certifies to the requirements of many standards, including but not limited to:
- NFPA 1994: Protective Ensembles for First Responders to CBRN Terrorism Incidents
- NFPA 1971: Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting
- NFPA 2112: Flame-Resistant Garments for Protection of Industrial Personnel Against Flash Fire
- NFPA 1983: Life Safety Rope and Equipment for Emergency Services
- CSA-Z94.1: Industrial Protective Headwear – Performance, Selection, Care, and Use
- CSA-Z94.3: Eye and Face Protectors
- CSA-Z195: Protective Footwear
- CGSB 155.22: Fireline Workwear for Forest Firefighters
- CGSB 155.1: Firefighters’ Protective Clothing for Protection Against Heat and Flame
- CGSB 155.20: Workwear for Protection Against Hydrocarbon Flash Fire
- ISEA 103: Classification and Performance Requirements for Chemical Protective Clothing
- ISEA 107: High-Visibility Safety Apparel and Headwear
- ASTM F2413: Standard Specification for Performance Requirements for Foot Protection
- ASTM F1897: Standard Specification for Leg Protection for Chain Saw User
- ASTM F1506: Standard Performance Specification for Flame Resistant and Arc Rated Textile Materials for Wearing Apparel for Use by Electrical Workers Exposed to Momentary Electric Arc and Related Thermal Hazards
- ANSI/ASSE Z359 Fall Protection Code