Complete the form to download the free machine risk assessment tool.
Thank you for your interest in our machine risk assessment tool. The free risk assessment spreadsheet provides a starting point for industrial machines installed in the U.S. only. For larger or more complex machines, or modern machinery including robotics, please contact us.
Employers are required by U.S. federal law to provide a safe work environment for employees. This general duty clause of OSHA regulation 29 CFR 1910 requires employers to provide a workplace free of recognized hazards. UL’s machine risk assessment services help stakeholders such as factory owners, asset owners and employers proactively meet their regulatory workplace safety needs and protect against injuries and loss. In the unfortunate event of an OSHA citation, injury, or loss, our services can provide expert assessment of cause and identify additional hazards with options for addressing and mitigating risks.
Why conduct a machine risk assessment?
Upgrades, retrofits, aging machinery, periodic maintenance, worker modifications and other machine interactions can change the original configuration of the machines creating a potential hazard. The complexity of today’s automated machines, collaborative robots (cobots) and robotic cell integration establishes a new workplace environment with additional risks and hazards. To effectively manage risk, employers must know where potential hazards exist and minimize or eliminate the hazard. In addition, workplace hazard assessments are required by law under 29 CFR 1910:
The employer shall verify that the required workplace hazard assessment has been performed through a written certification that identifies the workplace evaluated; the person certifying that the evaluation has been performed; the date(s) of the hazard assessment; and, which identifies the document as a certification of hazard assessment.
UL provides on-site risk assessments and machine safeguarding audits of industrial machinery to OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, RIA and applicable ISO standards. Audits and risk assessments include identification of hazards, risk level estimates and recommended risk reduction (safeguarding) methods.
Our assessment services are based on the following standards:
- ANSI B11 Machine Safety Standards (includes general and specific machine type standard)
- ANSI B11.19 Performance Requirements for Safeguarding
- ANSI/RIA R15.06 – Industrial Robots and Robot Systems
- ANSI / NFPA 70 – National Electrical Code
- ANSI / NFPA 79 – Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery
- ASME B20.1 – Safety Standards for Conveyors
- Applicable OSHA Machine Guarding and Safety Standards
- Other standards dictated by machine type
- Machine hazard assessments
- Machine safety risk assessments
- ANSI/RIA machine risk assessment
- ANSI/RIA team-based machine risk assessment
- Advisory services
- Other industrial safety solutions
Why choose UL for your risk assessment and workplace safety needs?
- For over 125 years, UL has been trusted with safety, providing engineering expertise and helping our customers manage risk.
- UL is an unbiased independent third party providing risk mitigation services that create safer work environments and peace of mind.
- UL is in factories today. We are experienced on the factory floor, and our expanded services offer site and machinery safety assessment to protect against injuries and loss.