Global certification is necessary to compete in today’s modern world. You can accelerate your worldwide product acceptance by bundling services. Combine hazardous locations services to gain global market access, reduce cost and minimize time to market. UL can help you by creating a certification roadmap for access to the following markets:
- UL and C-UL Certification for North America
- ATEX Certification for the European Union
- IECEx Certification for Access to International Markets
- INMETRO Certification for Brazil
- EAC Certification for Access to the Customs Union Territory Including Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Armenia and Kyrgyzstan
- CN-Ex Mark Assistance for China
- TS Mark Assistance for Taiwan
- SASO Certification for Saudi Arabia
- ESMA Certification for United Arab Emirates
- SABS Certification Assistance for South Africa
By acquiring the certifications noted above, you will gain access to a majority of the world markets, but many regions have local requirements as well. UL can create a global certification solution for your products. Global market access is UL’s specialty and we are experts on HazLoc certification requirements. So, streamline your worldwide acceptance by choosing the one certification organization whose brand is most widely recognized and accepted globally.
For your convenience, download the UL HazLoc Mobile App to have UL expertise at your fingertips and for interactive information.
UL and C-UL Certification for North America
UL is widely recognized across North America, as well as other parts of the world.
Certification process services include:
- Evaluation & Testing:
- Ordinary Location/Safe Area Requirements – Certification for risks associated with shock, fire and personal injury.
- Hazardous Location/Explosion Protection Requirements – Certification based on area classification and explosion protection methods for either Division or Zone installations. A hazardous locations certified product must comply with both ordinary location and hazardous locations requirements in accordance with US UL and ANSI and CAN Standards.
- Production Control:
Want to learn more about the definition of a hazardous location and area classification, including the difference between Division and Zone markings, NEC and CEC references, as well as a Class I, Division 1 and a Class I, Division 2 location? Click here to explore more about UL and C-UL Certification.
ATEX Certification for the European Union
Hazardous Locations or Explosion protected equipment intended for installation in the European Union must comply with the ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU (replaced the former ATEX Directive 94/9/EC). The Directive ensures the free movement of goods throughout the European Union by harmonizing compliance procedures. UL is an accredited Notified Body and Ex Testing Laboratory for electrical and non-electrical equipment based on the EN 60079, EN 80079, and EN 13463 series of harmonized standards. We can also help with functional safety requests.
Certification process services include:
- Ordinary Location/Safe Area Requirements – The CE mark is a self-declaration marking indicating that equipment conforms to applicable directives which vary depending on the product type. UL can assist in preparing a technical file to demonstrate compliance and declaration of conformity.
- Ex Marking Certification – Products sold in the European Union (EU) must be marked with the Distinctive Community Mark (Ex in a hexagon) and the CE marking in accordance with the Directive. We can help you identify applicable requirements and assemble a technical file. We post certificates online for customer’s and inspector’s access.
- Unit Verification – The Unit Verification Service provides certification for customized equipment that is intended to be used in a potentially explosive atmosphere and for installation in the EU.
- Quality Audits – The Directive requires a quality assurance process and procedure to be in place to help ensure continued compliance of Ex Certified products. UL has auditors around the world that can perform these audits.
- Repair Facility Certification – We can help facilities that intend to repair existing certified products per EN 60079-19.
Want to learn more about this certification and area classification, including: an explanation of applicable Directives, markings, the difference between Groups and Categories and ATEX vs. IECEx? Click here to explore more about ATEX Certification.
IECEx Certification for Access to International Markets
The IECEx System is an international system for the safety of equipment installed in a potentially explosive atmosphere. It is similar to the IECEE CB scheme. It is based on the IEC 60079 and IEC 80079 Series of standards facilitated by the TC31 technical committee. UL participates on and leads many of the TC31 technical committees leading the charge of standards evolution. UL is an approved test laboratory and certification body within the IECEx Certified Equipment, Certified Service Facilities, Personnel Competency, Conformity Mark License, and Recognized Training Provider programs.
Certification process services include:
- Ex Marking Certification – We can help you identify applicable requirements and assemble a technical file in accordance with the System guidelines.
- Unit Verification – The Unit Verification Service provides certification for customized equipment that is intended to be used in a potentially explosive atmosphere.
- Quality Audits – The System requires a quality assurance process and procedure to be in place to ensure continued compliance of certified products.
- Repair Facility Certification – We can certify facilities and their associated personnel that intend to repair existing certified products per IEC 60079-19.
- Personnel Competency – We are an approved Certification Body (ExCB) for the 05 Scheme for Units Ex 000 and Ex 001 and can issue both Ex Facility Orientation Certificates (EFOC) and Certificates of Personnel Competence (CoPC).
- Conformity Mark License – The Conformity Mark License allows a licensee to use the Conformity Mark to be applied to the Ex products that are covered by a valid Certificate of Conformity, issued by UL. Learn more about how to obtain the IECEx Mark.
- Recognized Training Provider – We are an approvedRecognized Training Provider.
Want to learn more about what this certification is, the benefits to obtaining this certification, IECEx vs. ATEX, and details on area classification, including an explanation of markings? Click here to explore more about IECEx Certification.
INMETRO Certification for Brazil
To sell products in Brazil, manufacturers need to apply for INMETRO certification in accordance with the local ordinance, Portaria 179:2010, which sets the rules for equipment to be used in Hazardous Locations. UL has a Hazardous Locations office in Brazil, with staff ready to assist.
INMETRO certification process services include:
- INMETRO Marking Certification – We can help you identify applicable requirements and assemble a technical file in accordance with INMETRO guidelines.
- Quality Audits – INMETRO requires a quality assurance process and procedure to be in place to ensure continued compliance of INMETRO Certified products.
EAC Certification for Access to the Customs Union Territory Including Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Armenia and Kyrgyzstan
Since February 15th, 2013, EAC (EurAsian Conformity) Ex certification is required in order to gain access for Hazardous Locations products to the Customs Union territory (Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, and Kyrgyzstan). The EAC Ex certificate indicates compliance with the Customs Union Technical Regulation TP TC 012/2011 “On safety of equipment intended for use in explosive atmospheres”.
UL has a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in place with the Russian certification body, NANIO CCVE, for purposes of issuing EAC certificates.
If you would like to get a quotation started, please click here.
CN-Ex Mark Assistance for China, TS Mark Assistance for Taiwan, SASO Certification for Saudi Arabia, ESMA Certification for United Arab Emirates, and SABS Certification Assistance for South Africa
UL is ready assist in access to many other markets including the following:
- China – CNEx certification is required in order to gain access for HazLoc products to the People’s Republic of China. ATEX and IECEx certificates and associated test reports can be used to obtain a CNEx certificate.
- Taiwan – The Safety Label for Ex equipment in Taiwan indicates conformity to Taiwan national standards (CNS) and completion of official registration scheme by Ministry of Labor, Taiwan Government. It is currently the mandatory requirement that all Ex equipment is required to acquire a Safety Label prior to importation, sales, distribution, installation or operation in Taiwan.
- Saudi Arabia – A Certificate of Conformity (CoC) issued by a SASO-authorized certification body, such as UL, provides entrance into Saudi Arabia based on an IECEx Certificate.
- United Arab Emirates – We are ready to help with ESMA/ECASEx certification needs for access to the United Arab Emirates.
- South Africa – An IECEx Certificate may be used to obtain local SABS or MASC certification.
For your convenience, download the UL HazLoc Mobile App to have UL’s technical expertise regarding global markets for hazardous locations at your fingertips.
If you have questions or would like a quote, please click here.