As part of our commitment to your digital security and privacy, UL is transitioning to a new email policy. Please confirm if you wish to continue receiving emails from UL containing best practices, education, industry research, news, updates and promotions related to UL products and services. Thank you!
UL’s global network of accredited laboratories provides expertise in mattress flammability testing to help manufacturers ensure compliance with regulations. We can help manufacturers in the product development phase, as well as with material changes, failure analysis, comparison testing and claims verification.
Mattress Testing Standards
UL can test mattresses and futons to the current editions of the following global testing protocols and standards:
- Federal Standard 16 CFR 1632, Requirements, Test Procedures and Apparatus for Testing the Resistance of a Mattress or Mattress Pad to Combustion Which May Result from a Smoldering Cigarette
- Federal Standard 16 CFR 1633, Standard for the Flammability (Open Flame) of Mattress Sets
- BFD IX-11, Boston Fire Department Mattress Fire Test
- CAL TB 129, Flammability Test Procedure for Mattresses for Use in Public Buildings
- CAL TB 603, California Requirements and Test Procedure for Resistance of a Residential Mattress/Box Spring Set to a Large Open-Flame (preempted by 16 CFR 1633 in July 2007)
- ASTM E1590, Standard Test Method for Fire Testing of Mattresses
- EN 597, Furniture, Assessment of the ignitability of mattresses and upholstered bed bases
- Italian D.M. 26/06/1984, Reaction to Fire Classification and Fire Prevention Homologation of Materials (UNI 9175-CLASS 1.IM)
- NFPA 701, Standard Methods of Fire Tests for Flame Propagation of Textiles and Films
- UFAC, Filling/Padding Component Test Method: Part A – For Slab or Garneted Materials
Ensuring Ongoing Compliance
UL works with manufacturers to verify that ongoing production consistently meets compliance requirements through UL’s follow-up services, which audit component suppliers a minimum of four times per year. Additionally, UL’s recognized component program helps mattress component suppliers demonstrate consistency in the products they provide to customers.