Essential battery certification and services for cell manufacturers.
Manufacturers and consumers want trustworthy assurance regarding the performance, reliability and safety of battery cells used in an ever-growing number of products. UL offers a targeted array of services designed to give all stakeholders increased confidence in these products.
Battery separator safety
We test and certify lithium-ion cell battery separators to the UL 2591 Standard or custom test protocols to help ensure battery integrity and safety meet the capabilities and demands needed to compete safely in today’s market.
In-house EMC compatibility
UL’s electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) service enables cell manufacturers to optimize their own in-house testing capabilities in order to identify and resolve EMC problems as early as possible.
Safety testing and certification utilizing application-based standards and local country marks
Traditionally, battery cells have been certified to the UL 1642 Standard. Widely known to apply to lithium batteries, this Standard focused on portable consumer applications and was not tailored to the needs of motive or stationary applications.
With the recent development of robust safety standards for newer battery applications, UL can now certify cells for use in motive/transportation or stationary applications to the corresponding application-based Standard: UL 2271 (LEV batteries), UL 2580 (EV batteries) or UL 1973 (LER and stationary batteries). This means fewer samples required for testing, reduced conditioning requirements and increased overall speed to market.
UL helps our customers to achieve global market access with advisory services, testing and certifications to UL Standards specific to batteries, electrochemical capacitors, fuel cells and related energy storage technologies. We also assist with transportation and regional standards, as well as assist with obtaining local country marks, including:
- UL 810A: Standard for Electrochemical Capacitors
- UL 1973: Standard for Batteries for Use in Light Electric Rail (LER) Applications and Stationary Applications
- UL 2580: Batteries for Use in Electric Vehicles
- IATA / UN DOT / UN 38.3 T1-5, T6, T8 (or IEC 62281): Safety of Primary and Secondary Lithium Cells and Batteries During Transport
- IEC 62133 1st/2nd Edition: Secondary Cells and Batteries Containing Alkaline or Other Non-acid Electrolytes – Safety Requirements for Portable Sealed Secondary Cells, and for Batteries Made From Them, for Use in Portable Applications
- CNS 15364: Secondary Cells and Batteries Containing Alkaline or Other Non-acid Electrolytes – Secondary Lithium Cells and Batteries for Portable Applications (China / Taiwan)
- JIS C 8715-2: Secondary Lithium Cells and Batteries for Use in Industrial Applications – Part 2: Tests and Requirements of Safety (Stationary – Japan)
- CQC Mark Certification (China)
- CQC 3306: Safety Certification Criteria for Lithium-ion Cells and Batteries Used in Portable Electronic Equipment (China)
- GB/T 18287: General Specification of Lithium-ion Battery for Cellular Phone (China)
- CE Marking (Europe)
- D Mark (Denmark)
- DENAN Ordinance Article 1, Appendix 9 (Japan)
- GOST-R: Certificate of conformity for exports to Russia (Russia)
- KC Mark (Korea)
- MC (Malaysia)
- RPC Mark (Taiwan)
Testing can be combined into a single, turnkey conformity assessment based on individual customer needs. UL will handle the entire streamlined process and deliver the applicable certification marks/certificates upon successful completion.
Performance and reliability testing
UL testing includes capacity claims, charge/discharge cycling, overcharge abilities, environmental and altitude simulation, and combined temperature cycling and vibration testing.
We offer performance certification marks for the following standards:
- IEC 60086-1 and IEC 60086-2: Primary Batteries – Part 1: General; Primary Batteries – Part 2: Physical and Electrical Specifications (non-rechargeable performance)
- IEC 61960: Secondary Cells and Batteries Containing Alkaline or Other Non-acid Electrolytes – Secondary Lithium Cells and Batteries for Portable Applications (rechargeable lithium performance)
- IEC 61951-1: Secondary Cells and Batteries Containing Alkaline or Other Non-acid Electrolytes – Portable Sealed Rechargeable Single Cells – Part 1: Nickel-cadmium
- IEC 61951-2: Secondary Cells and Batteries Containing Alkaline or Other Non-acid Electrolytes – Portable Sealed Rechargeable Single Cells – Part 2: Nickel-metal hydride
Our engineering team of industry experts will also conduct custom research for manufacturers, to spot problems, remediate risk, and provide documentation of due diligence.
Research areas include:
- Validation of charging/discharging protocol
- Pulse charging/discharging
- Aging analysis
- Lithium-ion cell operational window assessment
- Construction assessment
- Forensic analysis/ failure investigation
- EIS analysis
- CT analysis
- ARC analysis
- Internal short circuit simulation and failure analysis
- Smoke characterization
- Cell headspace gas analysis
- FTA of failure modes
- Cell characterizations