CE Mark is required on products being marketed in the countries of the European Economic Area to facilitate trade among the member countries whilst guaranteeing transparency and safety on European Markets. Every country in Europe has its own market access requirements however the majority of European requirements are similar to the international and UL can guide you through the whole process of achieving compliance.
Not all products must bear the CE mark. It is required only for product categories mentioned in specific EU directives on the CE marking, for example (but not limited to):
- Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (R&TTE) 1995/5/EC
- Low Voltage Directive (LVD) 2014/35/EU
- EMC Directive (2004/108/EC)
- Construction Product Directive EU No. 305/2011
- Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
- Restriction of Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive 2011/65/EU
- Eco-design of energy related Products Directive 2009/125/EC
UL has expertise and full capability to test to a variety of directives and help you solve local and global compliance challenges, get CE Marking and bring safer products to market.
Manufacturers that work with UL for the CE marking services will gain a competitive advantage using UL as a one-stop-shop for all their product compliance needs. Specifically:
- Using one organization, if needed – manufacturers will obtain IEC reports and certificates (CB) and/or UL mark and, at the same time, obtain the testing and reports required to demonstrate compliance with European Directives to prove compliance with the CE mark for the European market,
- You work with UL technical experts with extensive knowledge and experience in EN, IEC and UL standards and the testing needed for multiple markets, resulting in simplified and streamlined product design and modifications as well as project planning and test programs going forward,
- UL will use of CB accredited labs in Europe for the testing to simplify in the future, if needed, the process for having the CB report for the selected models.
Need more information about CE Marking?
Consider visiting our High Tech Knowledge Solutions page to get more information about CE Marking on Round Table events and Seminars in most countries across Europe.