WIRE AND CABLE
UL’s services are backed by the safety science, engineering and regulatory expertise that enables our customers to gain unrestricted access to the global marketplace.
Economic growth, aging infrastructure and the shift to renewable energy are trends driving demand for more sophisticated cables. UL’s comprehensive portfolio of services and our team of industry experts help the wire and cable industry take advantage of today’s opportunities while planning for future successes.
The benefits of working with UL
In the wire and cable industry, a quality issue is virtually always a safety issue. Cables need to comply with a growing list of requirements to protect consumers and their property against a range of issues, from electric shock and burns to electric arcing and fire propagation. UL fully supports our customers in their drive to protect public safety and brand value.
UL´s service offering for the wire and cable industry includes the rigorous safety, performance and quality assurance checks that the industry expects from UL. We evaluate wire and cable products under more than 70 different product categories, using more than 30 Standards for Safety. Our customizable service bundles help reduce redundant testing, saving time and costs, and support our customers in their efforts to get products to the market quickly.
But we don’t stop there. UL’s services help our customers cut through compliance complexity, efficiently reach all of their target markets and clearly differentiate their products in the marketplace. Our comprehensive global market access support helps manufacturers manage the entire supply chain with services that include quality assurance and capability checks, assistance in sourcing components, training, and traceability and brand protection programs. Additionally, UL offers an industry-leading follow-up production inspection program that helps manufacturers demonstrate their commitment to quality and compliance.
UL also invests in broad market surveillance efforts across the entire supply chain to help identify and take out of circulation counterfeit and noncompliant products. We help our customers manage risk and stay on top of emerging trends, by offering timely guidance on changing regulations. Our team of technical experts stay informed about industry concerns via active involvement and participation in industry associations and regulatory organizations.
Areas of Focus
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- Component Certification
- Data Acceptance Program
- Field Inspection Service
- Follow-up Service
- Global Market Access
- Performance Testing
- Pre-certification Review
- Reliability Testing
- Repackaged Product Program
- Research and Development Testing
View the scope and table of contents for the UL Standard that applies to your regulatory or engineering needs.
- 13 3 Standard for Power-Limited Circuit Cables
- 44 17 Thermoset-Insulated Wires and Cables
- 62 18 Flexible Cords and Cables
- 83 14 Thermoplastic-Insulated Wires and Cables
- 444 4 Communications Cables
- 493 9 Standard for Thermoplastic-Insulated Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cables
- 588 18 Standard for Seasonal and Holiday Decorative Products
- 758 2 Standard for Appliance Wiring Material
- 817 11 Standard for Cord Sets and Power-Supply Cords
- 854 11 Standard for Service-Entrance Cables
- 1277 5 Standard for Electrical Power and Control Tray Cables with Optional Optical-Fiber Members
- 1424 3 Standard for Cables for Power-Limited Fire-Alarm Circuits
- 1425 2 Standard for Cables for Non-Power-Limited Fire-Alarm Circuits
- 1651 3 Standard for Optical Fiber Cable
- 1655 2 Standard for Community-Antenna Television Cables
- 1690 3 Standard for Data-Processing Cable
- 2250 2 Standard for Instrumentation Tray Cable
- 2388 1 Standard for Flexible Lighting Products
- 4703 4 Photovoltaic Wire
Browse pertinent UL thought leadership to help you find the research and insights that matter for your business.