TOYS AND JUVENILE PRODUCTS
Total confidence in toy, nursery and children’s product quality and safety is essential to brand acceptance in the global market.
With unmatched industry expertise, a worldwide network of accredited laboratories, and active involvement in the development and revision of international safety standards, UL is uniquely positioned to help our customers mitigate risk, comply with regulatory demands and efficiently access the global market.
The benefits of working with UL
UL offers critical services through every stage of the manufacturing cycle, including:
- Design evaluations and safety assessments
- Human factors evaluations
- Reasonable testing programs
- Chemical management
- Toxicological risk assessments
- Restricted substance evaluations
- Sensory and consumer studies
- Label evaluation and verification
Our engineers, chemists, microbiologists, auditors, inspectors and behavioral scientists can assist with every aspect of production for the toy and juvenile products industry, with services that include:
- Mechanical and physical testing
- Construction and workmanship
- Stability and durability
- Load and overload capacity
- Testing for small-part choking hazards and sharp point and edge assessments
- Impact, torque, tension and compression assessments
- Testing for flammability of solids and flashpoint of volatile materials
- Testing for heavy metal content of surface coatings
- Testing for toxins in packaging
- Assessments of antimicrobial effectiveness
- Quality and defect inspection services
UL is registered with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) as an accredited laboratory for Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) third-party testing requirements. Our worldwide laboratories perform testing to international, federal and state regulatory standards, including the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA); EU Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC; European Standards (EN) and National Standards (BS, NF-S, XP-S); the 1907/2006 Regulation – Registration, Evaluation, and Authorisation of Chemical Substances (REACH); electrical product regulations (WEEE and RoHS, EMC, FCC); and California Proposition 65 as well as regulations for emerging markets including Brazil, Russia, India and China.
UL is an active member of the Toy Industry Association, the Baby Products Association and the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association. Our team members are active participants on ASTM International committees, helping to develop and revise global safety standards. Our industry-specific and global regulatory knowledge helps our customers speed their products to market and effectively plan ahead to meet emerging standards and regulations.
Areas of Focus
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- Analytical Testing
- Brand Protection and Supply Chain Security Advisory Services
- Brand Protection and Supply Chain Security Audits
- Capacity Building and Continuous Improvement Advisory Services
- Capacity Building and Continuous Improvement Audits
- Chemical Emissions Certification
- Chemical Emissions Testing
- Chemical Testing
- Claims Testing
- Environmental Responsibility Advisory Services
- Environmental Responsibility Audits
- Extractives and Raw Materials Advisory Services
- Extractives and Raw Materials Audits
- Factory Capability and Quality Audits
- Flammability Testing
- Management System Assessment
- Mechanical Testing
- Microbiological Testing
- Multi-attribute Sustainability Certification
- Package Review
- Physical Testing
- Program Development
- Quality Inspection
- Regulatory Testing
View the scope and table of contents for the UL Standard that applies to your regulatory or engineering needs.
Browse pertinent UL thought leadership to help you find the research and insights that matter for your business.