Services for marking and labeling systems and materials.
UL has been providing certification, testing and training services for over 40 years to the label industry. Our engineering and laboratory team assists our customers in delivering compliant labels that meet individual project specifications and the demands of the global marketplace.
Many products must be permanently marked or labeled with specific safety-related information such as hazards, warnings, cautions, installation instructions and electrical ratings. UL tests and certifies marking and labeling systems and materials for adherence to established performance requirements. Whether it is regulatory requirements, pre-defined customer specifications, or certification requirements, UL is able to provide the services needed.
Our evaluations for marking and labeling systems includes comprehensive testing for permanency—such as curling, wrinkling, shrinkage or loss of adhesion—when a mark or label is exposed to environmental conditions such as high humidity, water, elevated temperatures, sunlight or chemical agents. Testing also typically includes an evaluation of legibility and resistance to defacement.
The final acceptance of a gasket or seal in a particular UL certified end-product is determined by UL, with reference to the specific end use requirements and the design of the device in which the gasket or seal is used. Most UL certified gasket and seal materials are intended only for factory installation in complete equipment, where traceability of the material can be verified by UL inspection.
We work with label manufacturers to update and create new UL Standards to address changes in technology and product applications. One example is our in-mold label (IML) program, designed specifically to support label manufacturers and their customers who now use IMLs to display safety-related information on UL certified products.
We also offer an authorized label supplier program to identify suppliers approved to print and distribute UL Marks.
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- Advisory Services
- Capacity Building and Continuous Improvement Advisory Services
- Capacity Building and Continuous Improvement Audits
- Component Certification
- Data Acceptance Audit
- Data Acceptance Program
- Data Acceptance Training
- Environmental Claim Validation
- Environmental Responsibility Advisory Services
- Environmental Responsibility Audits
- Extractives and Raw Materials Advisory Services
- Extractives and Raw Materials Audits
- Factory Capability and Quality Audits
- Factory Inspection
- Follow-up Service
- Multiple Listing and Private Labeling
- Pre-certification Review
- Product Development Advisory Services
- Product Inspections
- Quality Advisory Services
- Regulatory Support Advisory Services
- Repackaged Product Program
- Research and Development Testing
- Risk Identification and Management Advisory Services
- Risk Identification and Management Audits
- Safety Certification
- Safety Testing
- Security and Brand Protection Advisory Services
- Security and Brand Protection Audit
- Social Responsibility Advisory Services
- Social Responsibility and Accountability Auditing
- Standards Training
- Supply Chain Audits
- UL Program Training
- Workplace Health and Safety Advisory Services