PERSONAL CARE AND BEAUTY
From scientific analysis to sensory testing, rely on UL’s expertise to bring products to the global market.
With over 60 years of quality assurance expertise in health and personal care products, UL helps our customers build and maintain brand loyalty in this fiercely competitive category.
Health, beauty and personal care product manufacturers need to continually drive innovation, quality and consistency into their merchandise to create a competitive advantage. UL works with manufacturers and suppliers to help develop full-cycle quality and safety programs. We also help to optimize personal care and beauty product performance to meet consumers’ needs and desires.
The benefits of working with UL
Through our global network of state-of-the-art laboratories, we provide analytical, microbiological, physical, shelf-life and performance testing capabilities for a wide range of product categories including cosmetics, hair and skin care, baby products, feminine hygiene, and dental care.
- Bags and organizers
- Hair care
- Lip balm
- Oral care
- Skin care
- Tools and brushes
From testing the purity and stability of raw ingredients and finished goods, to helping ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, to measuring consumer acceptability, UL’s consumer product solutions provide full-cycle supply chain quality assurance. Our services to the personal care and beauty products industry include:
- Ambient and accelerated shelf-life studies
- Analytical, microbiological and physical testing
- Foreign matter identification
- Preservative effectiveness testing
- Product/package compatibility
- Claims substantiation
- Comparative product evaluations
- Sensory evaluations and consumer testing
- Label reviews
- Manufacturing audits
- Regulatory consultation
UL performs pre-market regulatory and product feature evaluations, product design qualification testing, and corrective action analysis to identify areas for improvement and to minimize exposure to product failure and possible recalls.
Our ability to integrate sensory evaluations with analytical and physical testing makes us the preferred sensory services provider to the consumer products industry. Whether a customer is seeking to enhance product performance or to launch a new product, our sensory evaluations and consumer studies provide vital comparisons of consumer-perceived attributes.
UL’s product evaluation programs are based on recognized global standards and guidelines, including those of the European Pharmacopoeia; United States Pharmacopeia (USP); U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA); and Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association (CTFA—now the Personal Care Products Council, or PCPC), offering the ultimate in quality assurance for brand protection.
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- Advisory Services
- Analytical Testing
- Brand Protection and Supply Chain Security Advisory Services
- Brand Protection and Supply Chain Security Audits
- Capacity Building and Continuous Improvement Advisory Services
- Capacity Building and Continuous Improvement Audits
- Chemical Testing
- Claims Testing
- Consumer Studies
- Environmental Responsibility Advisory Services
- Environmental Responsibility Audits
- Extractives and Raw Materials Audits
- Factory Capability and Quality Audits
- Microbiological Testing
- Package Review
- Physical Testing
- Quality Inspection
- Risk Identification and Management Advisory Services
- Risk Identification and Management Audits
- Sensory Testing
- Supply Chain Certification
Browse pertinent UL thought leadership to help you find the research and insights that matter for your business.