There are three types of Fire Alarm Listing Certifications:
- Central Station Fire Alarm (UUFX)
- Local, Remote Station, Proprietary Supervising Station Fire Service (UUJS)
- Proprietary Fire Alarm Monitoring Stations (UUKA)
Central Station Fire Service:
Fire alarm systems are supervised by a commercial entity serving multiple customers. Fire alarm signals are recorded and acted on by trained operators. Requirements in NFPA 72 address these elements of service:
- System installation at protected premises
- Signal monitoring
- Retransmission of signals and associated record-keeping
- Runner service
NFPA 72 allows for Central Station Service delivery by either a single full-service entity, or through a contractual partnership between a monitoring company and an alarm service-local company.
A full-service company delivers all alarm service elements and has the ability to issue UL Certificates.
Monitoring Only Company
Provides signal monitoring and system supervision services.
A monitoring only company must operate under a subcontract with an alarm service company that is authorized to issue UL Certificates.
Alarm Service-Local Company
Delivers installation, testing, service, maintenance, and runner service to protected premises. Monitoring is subcontracted to a UL Listed central station.