LIFE SAFETY AND SECURITY
UL helps safety providers protect our world.
With more than a century of experience and technical expertise in the life safety and security industry, UL provides testing, inspection and certification services that help protect lives and property.
The benefits of working with UL
UL is dedicated to helping life safety and security product manufacturers and service providers gain global market acceptance with regulatory authorities, insurers, law enforcement organizations, government and retailers.
Through a combination of deep industry expertise, research capabilities and trusted testing services, we certify innovative fire safety devices and systems, occupational equipment and apparel, and other personal security and safety products.
Across product categories, we are committed to bridging relationships between manufacturers, authorities having jurisdiction (AHJs), users and specifiers. We play an active role in the evolution and harmonization of life safety and security standards.
We also invest significantly in the research and development of all major codes affecting the life safety and security industry and develop new certification programs to address emerging risks and innovations.
From the latest technology for intrusion detection to firefighting accessories to personal flotation devices, we help provide the highest confidence levels in today’s market by testing the integrity and performance of products to local and international standards.
We certify compliance with the internationally recognized UL Mark—the single-most accepted Certification Mark in the United States—along with certification to ANSI/NFPA, EN and CAN/CSA standards.
Our dedicated team of technical professionals creates custom, cost-effective solutions to help manufacturers get new, innovative products to market. As a single-source provider with global reach and a focus on early engagement in the product development process, UL is able to help streamline market access around the world.
Areas of Focus
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- Component Certification
- Custom Training
- Data Acceptance Program
- Global Market Access
- Global Market Access Training
- Pre-certification Review
- Product Certification
- Regulatory Compliance Essentials Training
- Safety Certification
- Standards Research Advisory Service
- UL Program Training
View the summary of a selection of key UL Standards, drawn from our broader catalog, that apply to your regulatory or engineering needs.
- 38 8 Standard for Manual Signaling Boxes for Fire Alarm Systems
- 217 6 Standard for Single and Multiple Station Smoke Alarms
- 268 6 Smoke Detectors for Fire Alarm Systems
- 294 5 Standard for Access Control System Units
- 464 9 Standard for Audible Signal Appliances
- 521 7 Standard for Heat Detectors for Fire Protective Signaling Systems
- 539 6 Standard for Single and Multiple Station Heat Alarms
- 639 8 Standard for Intrusion-Detection Units
- 681 15 Standard for Installation and Classification of Burglar and Holdup Alarm Systems
- 827 7 Standard for Central-Station Alarm Services
- 864 9 Standard for Control Units and Accessories for Fire Alarm Systems
- 1023 6 Standard for Household Burglar-Alarm System Units
- 1123 7 Standard for Marine Buoyant Devices
- 1180 2 Standard for Fully Inflatable Recreational Personal Flotation Devices
- 1197 3 Standard for Immersion Suits
- 2017 2 Standard for General-Purpose Signaling Devices and Systems
- 2034 3 Standard for Single and Multiple Station Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- 2075 2 Standard for Gas and Vapor Detectors and Sensors
- 2572 1 Standard for Mass Notification Systems
Browse pertinent UL thought leadership to help you find the research and insights that matter for your business.