JEWELRY AND WATCHES
UL helps ensure quality in every detail.
UL helps manufacturers deliver jewelry and watch products that comply with applicable regulatory demands and consistently meet brand quality expectations.
For unrestricted access to the world market, jewelry and watches must meet standards governing the presence of particular chemicals and metals. UL’s testing services for the jewelry and watches industry include:
- Lead and cadmium testing
- Children’s jewelry testing (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act [CPSIA])
- Fire assay by cupellation method (ISO 17025)
- Phthalates testing
- Plating thickness and fineness screening
- XRF screening
- Gemstone identification
We help to assure our customers that their specifications are being fully met by supply chain partners, with inspection, auditing and monitoring services to help verify the workmanship, construction, purity and source of materials, including vital checks on:
- Casting and construction
- Surface finish
- Precious metal weight
- Stone setting quality
- Functionality, sizing and quantity verification
- Plating color and quality
- Gemstone color and quality range
- Gemstone cut and weight
- Required country of origin, trademark and fineness stampings
The benefits of working with UL
UL’s proven expertise in quality assurance and responsible sourcing, in tandem with our knowledge of global regulatory requirements and product safety testing, perfectly positions us as a leading provider of services for the jewelry and watches industry.
Our on-site audits and inspections help manage supply chain risk, maintain product integrity and global marketability, and protect brand reputation. UL quality assurance services include Top of Production (TOP) Inspections and Initial Production Inspections (IPI), In-Process Quality Checks (DUPRO), Final Random Inspections (FRI), Pre-shipment Inspections (PSIs) and loading inspections.
UL is registered with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) as an accredited laboratory for Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act third-party testing, and our worldwide laboratories test to international, federal and state regulatory standards, including European Regulation (EC) 1907/2006 Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemical Substances (REACH) and California Proposition 65 (Legislation AB 2901 Chapter 575).
Our global jewelry team includes multilingual Gemological Institute of America (GIA) Graduate Gemologists and Diamond Graduates. UL is accredited by the Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC) as an assessment body to conduct conformity certification audits for retailers, jewelry manufacturers, diamond grading institutions, diamond cutters and polishers, and gold refineries.
Areas of Focus
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- Brand Protection and Supply Chain Security Advisory Services
- Brand Protection and Supply Chain Security Audits
- Capacity Building and Continuous Improvement Advisory Services
- Capacity Building and Continuous Improvement Audits
- Chemical Testing
- Claims Testing
- Environmental Responsibility Advisory Services
- Environmental Responsibility Audits
- Extractives and Raw Materials Advisory Services
- Extractives and Raw Materials Audits
- Factory Capability and Quality Audits
- Management System Assessment
- Mechanical Testing
- Physical Testing
- Program Development
- Quality Inspection
- Regulatory Testing
- Risk Identification and Management Advisory Services
- Risk Identification and Management Audits
Browse pertinent UL thought leadership to help you find the research and insights that matter for your business.