UL covers every need in fire safety testing.
We provide customized services, fire safety testing and certification for manufacturers, regulatory authorities, building owners, insurance companies and the fire safety community.
The benefits of working with UL
For over a century, UL has developed standards, conducted fire safety testing, granted product certification and performed research programs. Our technical expertise, testing capabilities and portfolio of product certifications, together with our global reach, enables UL to be a full-service provider. UL’s fire suppression team partners with each customer to optimize resources and customize evaluations to achieve timely and individualized solutions.
Our services support the fire suppression industry’s need for reliable, accurate test results and certifications. The testing process is streamlined to control costs and accelerate time-to-market for our customers, with no compromises in integrity or scientific excellence. In today’s fast-moving business environment, UL’s fire suppression team adapts to stay at the forefront of fire safety advancements.
UL’s services span the entire life cycle of a product. Projects are easily and quickly started with a conversation. We offer technical consultations and guidance throughout product development and by testing to ascertain anticipated product performance and reliability. UL is also authorized to certify many fire suppression products to Canadian and other international standards.
We offer flexible options for testing outside of UL facilities, including witness testing at third-party laboratories or at the manufacturer’s facilities. UL offers a sensible system to facilitate compliant component choices and replacements—correlated to the applicable standards, helping to simplify both the design and testing process for manufacturers—as well as customized testing solutions.
UL has written over 150 U.S. fire safety standards. We provide authorities having jurisdiction (AHJs), insurance companies, architects, designers and building owners with the information they need to verify fire suppression product performance, reliability and suitability. All of those involved in protecting the public from fire recognize and implicitly trust the UL Mark, a benefit our customers can leverage to differentiate their products.
Areas of Focus
Industry Insightssee all >
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- Building Inspections
- Commodity Classification Testing
- Field Evaluation
- Global Market Access
- Multiple Listing and Private Labeling
- Reliability Testing
- Risk Assessment Testing
- Safety Certification
- UL Program Training
View the summary of a selection of key UL Standards, drawn from our broader catalog, that apply to your regulatory or engineering needs.
- 8 6 Water Based Agent Fire Extinguishers
- 19 13 Standard for Lined Fire Hose and Hose Assemblies
- 139 6 Outline of Investigation for Medium- and High-Expansion Foam-Extinguishing System Equipment and Concentrates
- 154 9 Carbon-Dioxide Fire Extinguishers
- 162 7 Standard for Safety for Foam Equipment and Liquid Concentrates
- 193 10 Standard for Alarm Valves for Fire-Protection Service
- 199 11 Standard for Automatic Sprinklers for Fire-Protection Service
- 203 9 Standard for Pipe Hanger Equipment for Fire Protection Service
- 203A 3 Sway Brace Devices for Sprinkler System Piping
- 213 4 Rubber Gasketed Fittings
- 246 8 Standard for Hydrants for Fire-Protection Service
- 260 7 Standard for Dry Pipe and Deluge Valves for Fire-Protection Service
- 262 8 Standard for Gate Valves for Fire-Protection Service
- 299 11 Dry Chemical Fire Extinguishers
- 300 3 Standard for Fire Testing of Fire Extinguishing Systems for Protection of Commercial Cooking Equipment
- 312 10 Standard for Check Valves for Fire-Protection Service
- 327 5 Outline of Investigation for Turbine Type Flow Meters for Fire Protection Systems
- 448 10 Standard for Centrifugal Stationary Pumps for Fire-Protection Service
- 711 7 Rating and Fire Testing of Fire Extinguishers
- 852 2 Standard for Metallic Sprinkler Pipe for Fire Protection Service
- 1091 6 Standard for Butterfly Valves for Fire-Protection Service
- 1247 5 Standard for Diesel Engines for Driving Stationary Fire Pumps
- 1254 4 Standard for Pre-Engineered Dry Chemical Extinguishing System Units
- 1285 5 Standard for Pipe and Couplings, Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), and Oriented Polyvinyl Chloride (PVCO) for Underground Fire Service
- 1626 4 Standard for Residential Sprinklers for Fire-Protection Service
- 1767 4 Standard for Early-Suppression Fast-Response Sprinklers
- 1821 2 Standard for Thermoplastic Sprinkler Pipe and Fittings for Fire Protection Service
- 2127 2 Standard for Inert Gas Clean Agent Extinguishing System Units
- 2129 2 Halocarbon Clean Agent Fire Extinguishers
- 2166 2 Standard for Halocarbon Clean Agent Extinguishing System Units
Browse pertinent UL thought leadership to help you find the research and insights that matter for your business.