Achieve product transparency that meets green building demands and puts hazard into context.
The demand for sustainable products is skyrocketing. According to the US Green Building Council, in 2016, 40-48 percent of new, nonresidential construction projects are considered green. A report by BBC Research forecasts that the US market for green building materials will reach nearly $69 billion by 2019. Green building programs are increasingly asking for transparency and ingredient disclosure, including LEED v4, which includes a Materials & Resources Credit requirement for chemical disclosure. Other building programs are following suit, and architects, designers, and commercial buyers are demanding product transparency. If you fail to offer transparency, you risk losing market share, trust, and your competitive edge.
Provide Context to Chemical Disclosure
UL’s Product Lens Report delivers meaningful chemical information disclosure, providing your buyers with context and clarity. By offering more transparency into the product lifecycle stages, as well as the potential exposures for hazards, the Product Lens Report offers information that informs the user, leading to greater, faster, better decision making. During the certification process, UL works directly with you and your suppliers to access needed formulation information, evaluating product ingredients without disclosing sensitive information or trade secrets. The Product Lens Report provides a unique view into the materials, hazards, and potential exposures that help the manufacturer satisfy the demands and present valuable information in the context that matters.
UL Product Lens Report helps you fulfill your product transparency goals for human health and the environment while simultaneously signaling trust and legitimacy to buyers demanding green products.
UL Environment has partnered with MBDC and the Cradle to Cradle Product Innovation Institute to harmonize the Product Lens Report by basing its Materials Health Assessment Methodology from the Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Products program. This provides manufacturers an opportunity to leverage the work done in the Product Lens Report in order to carry out further C2C certifications as desired.
By working with UL to evaluate products with the Product Lens Report you can:
- Access growing markets demanding product transparency.
- Help specifiers earn credits in LEED v4.
- Provide context to communicate actual risks that product ingredients pose better than other disclosure tools available, which prevents inaccurate conclusions that a product is harmful.
- Help keep propriety product information confidential, while providing transparency into products.
- Establish a competitive advantage over others in the marketplace.
- Demonstrate your commitment to sustainability and human health.
Did you know?
UL is a recognized leader in standards innovation. With over a century of experience and the development of more than 1,000 standards, UL continues to break new ground in its mission to help create a safer, more sustainable world. Below are just a few of the ground-breaking standards developed by UL:
- Environmental Product Declarations Program Operator, UL identifies existing or creates new Product Category Rules for internationally-harmonized EPDs
- Environmental Claims Validation for “Free-of” Claims
- Environmental Claims Validation for Calculation of Estimated Recyclability Rate
- Environmental Claims Validation for Comparing Environmental Impacts of Sterilization Equipment
- GREENGUARD Certification for Low-emitting Products
- ECOLOGO Multi-attribute Standards
To learn more, visit ul.com/environment, submit a contact us form, or call 1.888.485.4733.