UL helps manufacturers capture value for their sustainability efforts.
We advance the recognition of sustainable products and drive purchaser clarity by bringing trusted transparency to the green marketplace.
The benefits of working with UL
We reinforce credibility of sustainable product claims through our robust certification, validation and testing services, helping our customers support their sustainability stories in ways that are meaningful to—and differentiating for—their organizations and their target markets.
This is increasingly valuable as demand for healthier, more sustainable products has grown. In fact, 65% of consumers globally agree or strongly agree that they would purchase more environmentally responsible products if the companies’ health and environmental claims were more believable. As a recognized industry leader committed to global sustainability, environmental health and safety, we can help provide that assurance.
Around the world, we help companies evolve, execute and communicate their sustainability strategies and initiatives with advisory services and expertise that supports the decision-making process every step of the way, including market research and strategy development.
UL’s GREENGUARD and ECOLOGO® marks are now recognized and referenced in more than 900 sustainable product specifications and purchasing guidelines. Our customers can leverage our trusted global reputation for rigorous testing and scientific accuracy to more effectively communicate their own integrity and environmental leadership.
UL is the exclusive provider of GREENGUARD Certification for products that meet stringent chemical emissions requirements, and ECOLOGO Certification for products that meet multi-attribute, life cycle-based sustainability standards. We also offer single-attribute environmental claims validations, waste to landfill validation, Environmental Product Declarations and organizational sustainability certifications.
Areas of Focus
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- BIFMA level Certification
- Bio-based Content Validation
- Chemical Emissions Certification
- Chemical Emissions Testing
- ECOLOGO Certification
- Environmental Claim Validation
- Environmental Product Declaration
- FACTS Certification
- GREENGUARD Certification
- Health Product Declaration
- IEEE 1680 Certifications
- Landfill Waste Diversion Validation
- LEED Package
- Multi-attribute Sustainability Certification
- NSF 140 Carpets Certification
- NSF 332 Resilient Flooring Certification
- Recycled Content
- RoHS Compliance Service
- Sustainability Service
- Sustainable Company Certification
- Water Footprint Inventory
View the scope and table of contents for the UL Standard that applies to your regulatory or engineering needs.
- 100 1 Standard for Sustainability for Gypsum Boards and Panels
- 102 1 Standard for Sustainability for Door Leafs
- 110 1 Standard for Sustainability for Mobile Phones
- 175 1 Standard for Sustainability for Sanitary Paper Products
- 2759 1 Hard Surface Cleaners
- 2761 1 Sealants and Caulking Compounds
- 2762 1 Adhesives
- 2771 1 Paper Products
- 2801 1 Standard for Sustainability for Printing Inks
- 2818 1 GREENGUARD Certification Program For Chemical Emissions For Building Materials, Finishes And Furnishings
Browse pertinent UL thought leadership to help you find the research and insights that matter for your business.