UL provides clear confidence in cleaning.
We help manufacturers boost confidence in the quality, safety, performance and environmental sustainability of their home and commercial cleaning supplies.
The benefits of working with UL
Backed by decades of experience in chemical specialty products testing, UL’s solutions and services provide the industry with the ability to clearly communicate product safety, health, environmental and performance attributes.
Our safety science expertise also extends to sustainability—a growing concern for consumer and institutional purchasers over the potential environmental and human health risks of cleaning chemicals and other cleaning agents. UL provides independent, third-party environmental certifications recognized or referenced in more than 350 specifications and standards worldwide, as well as other sustainability services to help cleaning product manufacturers credibly communicate their products’ environmental and health benefits.
UL experts conduct safety and performance evaluations to the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) International standards and the Consumer Specialty Products Association (CSPA) methods. UL’s independent auditing body is ACLASS accredited to provide factory certification services under the scope of current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP).
Our laboratories replicate real-world applications to provide accurate, reliable performance testing data. We provide quick turnaround times on high sample volumes with competitive pricing.
We can help successfully launch products. We offer review services early in the development cycle to identify areas for product improvement in order to reduce exposure to product failure and recalls and help successfully launch products. UL also offers sensory evaluation services by both trained expert and consumer panels to help optimize products pre-launch.
UL’s comparative product evaluation program is based on recognized global standards and methods, including ASTM, CSPA, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) label warning statements, to offer the ultimate in quality assurance for brand protection.
We also aid our customers in managing risk with services to assess prospective suppliers, develop quality protocols and monitor the supply chain. Our worldwide presence uniquely enables us to provide services locally as well as fully supporting our customers’ global market access needs.
Areas of Focus
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- Advisory Services
- Analytical Testing
- Chemical Emissions Certification
- Chemical Emissions Testing
- Claims Testing
- Consumer Studies
- Environmental Claim Validation
- Environmental Responsibility Audits
- Factory Capability and Quality Audits
- Management System Assessment
- Multi-attribute Sustainability Certification
- Physical Testing
- Quality Inspection
- Risk Identification and Management Advisory Services
- Risk Identification and Management Audits
- Sensory Testing
- Supply Chain Certification
View the scope and table of contents for the UL Standard that applies to your regulatory or engineering needs.
- 126 1 Standard for Sustainability for Plastic Film Products
- 175 1 Standard for Sustainability for Sanitary Paper Products
- 2759 1 Hard Surface Cleaners
- 2776 1 Laundry Detergents and Fabric Softeners
- 2777 1 Standard for Sustainability for Hard Floor Care Products
- 2780 1 Urinal Blocks
- 2781 1 Pool and Spa Water Treatment Products
- 2783 1 Instant Hand Antiseptic Products
- 2784 1 Standard for Sustainability for Hand Cleaners
- 2792 1 Standard for Sustainability for Cleaning and Degreasing Compounds: Biologically-based
- 2794 1 Standard for Sustainability for Disinfectants and Disinfectant Cleaners
- 2795 1 Standard for Sustainability for Carpet and Upholstery Care Products
- 2796 1 Standard for Sustainability for Odor Control Products
- 2820 1 GREENGUARD Certification Program for Chemical Emissions for Cleaners and Cleaning Maintenance Systems
- 2822 1 GREENGUARD Certification Program Method For Measuring And Evaluating Chemical Emissions From Cleaners And Cleaning Maintenance Systems Using Dynamic Environmental Chambers
Browse pertinent UL thought leadership to help you find the research and insights that matter for your business.