UL safeguards the strength of building products.
We help advance the building products industry’s drive to achieve both safety and innovation with flexible, customized service options for reliable, cost-effective product testing and certification.
The benefits of working with UL
Architects, regulatory authorities, manufacturers, insurers, building owners, and other partners in the building materials community rely on UL for the services and knowledge that they need to enhance public safety, meet regulatory demands, protect brand value and successfully access the global market.
With an emphasis on the latest safety science, UL meets all of the building products industry’s critical business needs. This includes a comprehensive services portfolio for products ranging from roofing to floors, fire doors and walls to insulation, paints and adhesives to wall coverings, and much more.
We also offer technical engineering support services, factory capability assessments, quality assurance, regulatory compliance testing, and sustainability and environmental certifications.
Our expertise in regulatory and global market access issues enables us to assist our manufacturing customers in determining exactly what regulations apply to their target markets, which products need to be tested, and whether testing should be conducted on components or finished goods. We can help customers develop a testing plan, and we can provide guidance on regulatory details ranging from regional code compliance and required follow-up services to record keeping. We will customize testing and analysis for specific regional markets and market-specific standards.
Our customers can leverage UL expertise at our facilities around the world and through our partner laboratories. We also offer field inspection and engineering services and the ability to test in a customer’s laboatory through our Data Acceptance Program (DAP).
UL’s Evaluation Service helps get building products to market faster with a single place for complete code compliance. This service includes a report that presents UL’s findings after an evaluation of products to ICC-ES (International Code Council’s Evaluation Service) Acceptance Criteria and compliance with the intent of code requirements. Combined with UL safety certification for building products, UL’s code evaluation service can facilitate market acceptance in a fraction of the time normally required to demonstrate compliance with International Codes.
UL product safety certifications, the code evaluation service and the UL Mark also assist code authorities, architects, designers, specifiers and contractors with accurately determining code compliance for products that must be tested and/or certified in accordance with specific standards. We also offer UL product directories and the Online Certifications Directory containing the names of companies qualified to use a UL Mark, an invaluable resource to minimize compliance processing and construction delays.
Areas of Focus
Industry Insightssee all >
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- Architectural Services
- Building Inspections
- Code Evaluation Service
- Code Training
- Company Certification
- Continuous Improvement Advisory Service
- Custom Training
- Data Acceptance Program
- Energy Efficiency Certification
- Environmental Claim Validation
- Environmental Product Declaration
- Field Evaluation
- Field Inspection Service
- Follow-up Service
- Global Market Access
- Global Market Access Training
- Multi-attribute Sustainability Certification
- Regulatory Compliance Essentials Training
- Research and Development Testing
- Safety Certification
- Standards Research Advisory Service
- UL Program Training
View the summary of a selection of key UL Standards, drawn from our broader catalog, that apply to your regulatory or engineering needs.
- 9 8 Standard for Fire Tests of Window Assemblies
- 10B 10 Standard for Fire Tests of Door Assemblies
- 10C 2 Standard for Positive Pressure Fire Tests of Door Assemblies
- 10D 1 Standard for Fire Tests of Fire Protective Curtain Assemblies
- 72 15 Standard for Tests for Fire Resistance of Record Protection Equipment
- 181 11 Standard for Factory-Made Air Ducts and Air Connectors
- 181A 4 Standard for Closure Systems for Use With Rigid Air Ducts
- 181B 3 Standard for Closure Systems for Use With Flexible Air Ducts and Air Connectors
- 228 5 Standard for Door Closers-Holders, With or Without Integral Smoke Detectors
- 263 14 Standard for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials
- 555 7 Standard for Fire Dampers
- 555C 3 Standard for Ceiling Dampers
- 555S 5 Standard for Smoke Dampers
- 580 5 Standard for Tests for Uplift Resistance of Roof Assemblies
- 687 15 Standard for Burglary-Resistant Safes
- 723 10 Standard for Test for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials
- 790 8 Standard for Standard Test Methods for Fire Tests of Roof Coverings
- 1256 4 Standard for Fire Test of Roof Deck Constructions
- 1479 3 Standard for Fire Tests of Through-Penetration Firestops
- 1709 4 Standard for Rapid Rise Fire Tests of Protection Materials for Structural Steel
- 1715 3 Standard for Fire Test of Interior Finish Material
- 1784 3 Standard for Air Leakage Tests of Door Assemblies
- 1897 6 Standard for Uplift Tests for Roof Covering Systems
- 2043 4 Standard for Fire Test for Heat and Visible Smoke Release for Discrete Products and Their Accessories Installed in Air-Handling Spaces
- 2079 4 Standard for Tests for Fire Resistance of Building Joint Systems
- 2196 1 Standard for Tests for Fire Resistive Cables
- 2218 2 Standard for Impact Resistance of Prepared Roof Covering Materials
- 2221 2 Standard for Tests of Fire Resistive Grease Duct Enclosure Assemblies
- 2390 1 Standard for Tests for Wind Resistant Asphalt Shingles with Sealed Tabs
- 2518 1 Outline of Investigation for Air Dispersion System Materials
Browse pertinent UL thought leadership to help you find the research and insights that matter for your business.