APPLIANCES AND HVAC/R
UL drives efficient product safety.
UL has over 120 years of experience serving the appliance industry and has been working with the HVAC/R industry since its inception. We do more than just simply test and certify small appliance products to the applicable safety standards required worldwide. Since developing UL 1005 for electric irons in the year 1905 and UL 1017 for vacuum cleaners in 1909, we have continued to work in close partnership with key industry stakeholders to develop and update Standards to address today’s products and safeguard tomorrow’s technologies.
The benefits of working with UL
UL provides our appliance and HVAC/R industry customers with one trusted contact for all their critical business needs – from prototyping to sourcing, risk analysis, quality assurance, regulatory compliance reviews, energy efficiency testing and environmental certifications. Our ever-growing capacity and capabilities for assessing safety and performance enable us to provide industry-leading turnaround times for test results.
Our services are designed to help our customers cut through compliance complexity and speed the process of bringing safer products to the global market. We host working groups to explore innovative technologies and work closely with electrical inspectors and other regulatory authorities to stay informed about issues that may impact product designs and business plans to help our customers manage risk more effectively.
UL’s global network of laboratories includes five facilities dedicated to meeting the needs of the appliance and HVAC industries. Our appliance and HVAC/R team has unparalleled expertise in the design review process. We work closely with our customers to help them plan for and meet compliance demands for energy efficiency programs, including ENERGY STAR®.
We also help drive the integrity of supply chains worldwide with services including factory capability and social compliance assessments, top of production (TOP) inspections and in-process quality checks (DU PRO) to help detect variances and defects at critical checkpoints through the entire manufacturing process.
Areas of Focus
Appliance Advisorsee all >
Find the right service within the UL offering and learn how it meets your particular needs.
- Advisory Services
- Brand Protection and Supply Chain Security Advisory Services
- Brand Protection and Supply Chain Security Audits
- Capacity Building and Continuous Improvement Advisory Services
- Capacity Building and Continuous Improvement Audits
- Certificated Agency Program
- Chemical Testing
- Claims Testing
- Consumer Studies
- Custom Training
- Data Acceptance Program
- EMC Testing
- Energy Efficiency Certification
- Energy Efficiency Testing
- Environmental Responsibility Advisory Services
- Environmental Responsibility Audits
- Flammability Testing
- Global Market Access
- Global Market Access Training
- Management System Assessment
- Materials Testing
- Microbiological Testing
- Multi-attribute Sustainability Certification
- Performance Testing
- Physical Testing
- Pre-certification Review
- Program Development
- Quality Inspection
- Regulatory Compliance Essentials Training
- Regulatory Testing
- Reliability Testing
- Risk Identification and Management Advisory Services
- Safety Certification
- Sanitation Certification
- Standards Research Advisory Service
- UL Program Training
View the summary of a selection of key UL Standards, drawn from our broader catalog, that apply to your regulatory or engineering needs.
- 250 10 Household refrigerators and freezers
- 325 6 Door Drapery Gate Louver and Window Operators and Systems
- 399 7 Drinking Water Coolers
- 471 10 Commercial Refrigerators and Freezers
- 507 9 Electric Fans
- 749 9 Household dishwashers
- 858 15 Household electric ranges/cooktops
- 987 8 Stationary and Fixed Electric Tools
- 1004-1 2 Rotating Electrical Machines – General Requirements
- 1081 6 Swimming Pool Pumps, Filters and Chlorinators
- 1995 4 Heating and Cooling Equipment
- 1998 3 Software in Programmable Components
- 2157 2 Electric clothes-washing machines and extractors
- 2158 2 Electric clothes dryers
- 2167 1 Standard for Water Mist Nozzles for Fire Protection Service
- 60335-2-34 4 Household and Similar Electrical Appliances; Part 2: Particular Requirements for Motor Compressors
- 60691 3 Thermal Links – Requirements and Application Guide
- 60730-1 4 Automatic Electrical Controls for Household and Similar Use; Part 1: General Requirements
- 60745-1 3 Hand-Held Motor-Operated Electric Tools – Safety
- 61058-1 4 Switches for Appliances; Part 1: General Requirements
Browse pertinent UL thought leadership to help you find the research and insights that matter for your business.